Next Saturday marks the 141st Annual Run of the Roses. Like most of us, if you can’t experience the thrill of the race at Churchill Downs, do the next best thing – Throw a Derby Party! Keep it casual and fun. Be sure to have the ladies sport a fabulous hat, the gents a colorful bow tie & keep everyones Mint Julep glasses full. Set your table with some equestrian-inspired decor and finger food. If the weather is nice, set up a game of croquet or corn hole in the backyard to enjoy after the race is over.
- Start by sending out a festive invitation to your guests like this one from Paperless Post.
- Prep your perfected Mint Julep Recipe the night before. Make simple syrup and store in the fridge til cocktail time. Here’s a great recipe found on Camille Styles.
- Snag these Equestrian Paper Luncheon Napkins from Horse & Hound.
- Have your gent sport a Mint Julep & Gingham Bow Tie from Vineyard Vines.
- Ladies must wear a fabulous hat! This Marie Hat from Preston & Olivia is handmade in NYC and can be worn all summer long.
- An easy breezy shirt dress like this one from Julie Brown is an excellent choice for the occasion.
- Weather permitting, set up a few yard games. Pottery Barn makes a great Croquet Set modeled after the authentic English sets.
- Benedictine is a traditional cucumber & cream cheese spread served at Derby parties. Use this deliciously fresh recipe from the Gourmandistan.